Timeline to the Broughton Area
1798 The Ellesmere Canal Proprietors give orders to stop any further work on the Ffrwd Canal.
1824 Entry should “Mr John Thompson takes over the Ffrwd CoIliery and completes the furnaces.”
1839 Ffestiniog Railway opened for mineral traffic.
1839 Sept. 13th Richard Kirk died aged 92.
1840 Sept. 22nd.Chester and Birkenhead Railway opened.
1844 Aug. 6th North Wales Mineral Railway Act. It refers to the line from Saltney to Wrexham.
1845 Vron colliery working.
1845 June 30th. South of Dee Railway Act. Cefn to Shrewsbury.
1845 North Wales Mineral Railway Extension Act for line from Wheatsheaf Junction to Brymbo and Minera via Moss and Brymbo tunnels, also extension of line from Wrexham to Cefn.
1845 Sheffield, Ashton-
beginning of the Great Central Railway.
1846 The Brymbo Company formed.
1846 March. Messrs W. H. and C. E. Darby became partners of the Bryrnbo Company.
1846 North Wales Mineral Railway Deviation and Branches Act, for branches to Ffrwd and Brynmally.
1846 Nov. 4th. North Wales Mineral Railway from Ruabon to Saltney opened.
1846 July 27th. Amalgamation between South of Dee railway and North Wales Mineral Railway.
1846 Act passed for Railway from Shrewsbury to Stafford.
1846 June 30th. Moss colliery (Summerhill Pits 1 and 2) leased to the Brymbo Co.
1846 London & North Western Railway constituted by amalgamation.
1847 June 28th. An excursion train run from Brymbo to Birkenhead to celebrate completion of North Wales Mineral Railway Line.
1847 Nov. Line from Wheatsheaf Junction to Minera via Moss and Brymbo Tunnels opened, with branches to Vron, Ffrwd, and Brynmally.
1848 Oct. 14th. The Ruabon to Shrewsbury line opened. It is said that George Stephenson was of the opinion that it was impracticable to construct a Viaduct to carry this line over the Deeat Cefn. The late Mr Robertson however succeeded in doing this and as the local rhymster said:
1848 Dec. 25th. Gobowen – Oswestry branch opened.
1848 Moss colliery, Pits 3 and 4 sunk.
1848 Chester -
1849 Brymnally colliery sold to Mr Thomas Clayton, who came to Brynmally Hall in 1850.
1849 Nov. 13th. Shrewsbury -
1850 Nantyffrith House built as a hunting lodge by Mr Thos. Fry of Liverpool. Enlarged by Mr R. H. V. Kyrke about 1883.
1850 Minera Mining Company formed.
1850 Brymbo Church Schools built, rebuilt 1872, enlarged 1910.
1850 Sept. 2nd. Oxford -
1850 Oct. 21st. Britannia Tubular Railway Bridge over the Menai Straits opened for traffic. Robert Stephenson, Engineer. The first test train over the bridge was loaded with 300 tons of Brymbo coal.
1851 Brymbo (Blast) colliery sent a lump of coal weighing about 15 tons to the International Exhibition at the Crystal Palace, for which they were awarded a bronze medal.
1852 May. Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton line opened.
1852 July. Bangor and Carnarvon line opened.
1852 July. Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Stour Valley line opened.
1852 Oct. 1st. Banbury – Leamington -
1852 Penrhos Pits sunk between March 15 and June 14, 1853.
1853/4 Penygarth re-
1854 Aug. 7th. Shrewsbury to Birmingham line amalgamated with G. W. Rly. Co.
1855 Oct. 3rd. First sod cut of the Newtown -
1855 Dec. 22nd. Much damage done by fire at Brymbo Works. (Is this the fire in the old pattern shop (present foundry office), stated in Mr John Gittens’ diary to have occurred December 22nd 1854?) .
1855 Sept. 4th. Lodge and Broughton Hall estates, including the old Southsea colliery, bought by Messrs. Robertson, W. H. Darby, and C. E. Darby, and the Broughton Coal Co. formed.
1855 Mr James Sparrow took over the Ffrwd Furnaces and Colliery.
1855 Mr Peter Williams born.
1855 A local Coal Owners' Association formed.
1856 Sept. 17th. Mr J. H. Darby born.
1856 Sept. 30th. Water broke into Brynmally Pit, thirteen lost their lives.
1856 Nov. Wynnstay Colliery, (the “Green") sinking commenced.
1857 Jan. Penycoed colliery being worked by Messrs. Green, Davies and Roberts.
1857 April. Ffrwd No. 1 Pit being worked by “Whimsey.”
1857 June. Black Park Pits, Chirk, working.
1857 Aug. 4th. Oswestry -
1857 Aug. 7th. Vale of Clwyd railway, Rhyl to Denbigh section (10 miles), first sod cut.
1857 Aug. 21st. An explosion at Talwrn colliery, Coedpoeth. (Owned by Mr. Burton).
1857 The original Brandy railway (Ruabon to Johnstown) was working and extensions
were proposed from Bryn-
1858 Jan. Ten blast furnaces in North Wales, five in blast.
1858 Mar. 6th. Wynnstay Hall burnt down.
1858 April. The G.W. Rly. start using coal in place of coke for their locomotives.
1858 May. Brymbo and Pentresaeson Metallurgical Works working. The latter (now the foundry) being newly built by Mr Darlington.
1858 June. Line from Llandudno Junction to Llandudno opened.
1858 Estimated annual tonnage of traffic through Moss -
1858 Nov. First sod cut of Newtown -
1859 The Glan-
1859 The Rockwood and Daisy Bank estates leased by the Broughton Co.
1859 Aug. 31st. The Newtown – Llanidloes line formally opened.
1860 Jan. 1st. The G.W. & L. & N.W. Railway Co’s take over the (then existing) line from Chester to Birkenhead.
1860 May 1st. Line opened from Oswestry to Poolquay.
1860 Aug. 14th. Line opened from Oswestry to Welshpool.
1860 Sept. 10th. Brymbo and Broughton British schools at Pentre opened.
1860 Act obtained for a Goods and Mineral railway from Buckley to Connah’s Quay (4¾ miles).
1860 Aug. 9th. Mr John Burton died, aged 79.
1860 Oct. 15th. English Baptist Chapel, Lodge, opened.
1860 Brymbo Lead Smelting Co. refined an ingot of silver weighing 2,000 ozs. The first silver produced in Denbighshire.
1861 New winding engine and house erected at Ffos-
1861 January. Two pits being sunk at Gardden, Ruabon, by Messrs. Wright.
1861 June 10th. Oswestry -
1861 August. First sod cut for Oswestry – Ellesmere -
1861 Nov. Line from Gardden Lodge Junction to Ponkey opened for Goods and Minerals.
1862 Act passed for Wrexham Mold and Connahs’ Quay Railway from Wrexham Exchange to Buckley Junction.
1862 Feb. Brymbo Gas Works started.
1862 Feb. 1st. Severn Valley Railway opened.
1862 Mar. 1st. Ruthin -
1862 Mar. 3rd. Llangollen -
1862 April 17th. Welsh Coast Railway. First sod cut at Towyn.
1862 May 22nd. Great Western line from Croesnewydd to Brymbo opened for goods and minerals, also Croesnewydd South Fork.
1862 Aug. 23rd. New Kenyon Colliery (Vauxhall); coal on sale by Messrs. Wrights.
1862 Sept. 4th. Oswestry -
1862 Oct. Ruabon to Llangollen opened to passengers.
1862 Oct. 22nd. Wrexham -
1863 Jan. Newtown -
1863 Mar. 2nd. Abermule -
1863 May. Line opened between Ellesmere and Whitchurch.
1863 June. Pentresaeson Colliery then working.
1863 May 27th. Explosion at Brymbo Colliery. Seven men burnt, two died.
1863 July. Machynlleth to Borth Section of Welsh Coast Railway opened.
1863 July 17th. Llanfyllin branch opened.
1863 Nov. 14th. Mr. W. H. Darby speaking at the Ffrwd, said he believed the Denbighshire coal field extended as far east as Holt and that the time would come when deeper shafts would be sunk to win that coal. This has since been done at Gresford and Llay Main.
1863 Nov. Welsh Coast Railway Line opened from Aberdovey to Llwyngwril.
1863 Dec. 12th. Explosion at the Green (Wynnstay) Pits. Nineteen killed and injured.
1863 Nov. Reading room by Pentre School opened to the public.
1864 April 19th. Corwen -
1864 July. Line opened between Ellesmere and Oswestry.
1864 July. Borth -
1864 Sept. 14th. Railway from Canal Basin at Pontcysyllte towards Rhos; First sod cut.
1864 Sept. 22nd. Corwen -
1864 Rhosddu Colliery coal struck at 147 feet.
1864 Cambrian Railways constituted by amalgamation.
1864 Nov. Man wound over pulley at Grosvenor Pit (Coedpoeth).
1864/5 Pit sunk at Plasmaen (older pits existed there).
1864 Nov. Berwyn Tunnel on Llangollen Corwen line pierced.
1864 Nov. 26th. Line from Ruabon to Llwynennion with branch to Bryn -
1864 Wrexham Water Co. formed.
1864 Ebbw Vale Co. formed, to take over existing works from Messrs. Abraham and Alfred Darby and partners.
1864 Tabernacle Chapel, Brymbo (Baptist) built.
1865 Jan. 18th. Stansty Forge opened by Mr Watkiss.
1865 Feb. Pit working at Caepenty.
1865 Mar. 25th. New Blowing Engine made by the Lilleshall Co., started working at Ffrwd.
1865 April. Plas Kynaston (Waterloo) Pits. Sinking commenced.
1865 June. Llangollen-
1865 June 17th. Demonstration train run through the Ffrith.
1865 July 1st. Minera Lime Co. take over the existing works previously leased by the Brymbo Co.
1865 July. Section of Welsh Coast Railway opened from Llwyngwril to Barmouth Junction and Penmaenpool.
1865 Sept. 4th. Sod cut of Llwynennion extension of Pontcysyllte line.
1865 Nov. 18th. Notice of Act for amalgamation of the Llangollen -
1865 Oct. First sod cut Wellington -
1865 Ffestiniog Toy Railway from Portmadoc to Ffestiniog opened for passengers. The line first built about 1835. Steam locomotives first used in 1863.
1865 A Railway being constructed from Wrexham to Ellesmere passing close by the north
side of Wrexham Barracks to Bryn-
1865 Wesleyan Chapel on Mount Hill built. Afterwards converted to Public Hall, replaced
by New Chapel built 1891-
1866 Jan. 3rd. Line from Pontcysyllte Railway to G.W.R. at Trevor station through Trefynant works opened by Mr J. C. Edwards.
1866 Feb. Cobden Mill, Wrexham opened.
1866 Mar. 26th. Mr Samuel Jones died aged 60. He held a most responsible position
at Brymbo. Promoted by Mr Rowe in 1836, sunk the Blast Pits 1843-
1866 April 22nd. Another fire at the old Pattern Shop at Brymbo.
1866 May 5th. Mr. Richard Thompson died at Chorley.
1866 May 1st. Gwersyllt to Wrexham section of W.M. and C.Q. Railway opened.
1866 May. A pit being sunk at Vauxhall (Kenyon) Colliery. (See also 1862).
1866 May. North Wales Coal, Iron and Firebrick Co. incorporated to acquire Llay Forge, Brickworks, and Coal and Ironstone bearing lands. Works comprised forge, steam hammer, engine and rolling mill with all appliances to make sheet iron, also a 56 H.P. water wheel.
1866 June 4th. Lodge Chapel (C.M.) opened. Enlarged in 1898. Closed in 1964.
1866 June 23rd. Barmouth Railway B.ridge opened for traffic.
1866 Aug. Line from Corwen to Llandrillo opened for passengers.
1866 Sept. Brymbo works made the rim of a flywheel 25ft. diameter, weighing 26 tons, for Llay Forge, the largest and heaviest wheel till then made at Brymbo.
1866 Sept. The first Pithead Pulley at Hafod Colliery, made at Wynn Hall Foundry, was erected. It was 19ft. dia. weighing 4 to 5 tons and was said to be the largest in Wales.
1866 Nov. 16th. Llwynennion Railway opened.
1866 Wrexham Mold and Connah’s Quay Railway opened. It extended from Wrexham Exchange to Buckley, where it joined the existing Buckley to Connah’s Quay Line.
1866 During this year 200 children were brought to the Brymbo Gas Works to inhale the effluvia from the purifiers for the relief of whooping cough.
1866 A Welsh Railway Train about to start, seized for debt.
1867 July 25th. Bill for the Mold and Denbigh Junction Railway received the Royal Assent. This Railway was at the time spoken of as the “Madman’s Railway.”
1867 July 25th. Bills for Carnarvon to Llanberis Railway and the Carnarvonshire and Nantlle Railway received Royal Assent.
1867 Aug. Brymbo made two castings for the new Forge at Crewe Works, weighing 21 and 27 tons.
1867 Aug. Coal reached at 500 yards in New Hafod Pit of Ruabon Coal Co.
1867 Sept. 2nd. Carnarvonshire Railway Co’s Line opened for traffic. The Cambrian Line to Barmouth opened shortly after this.
1867 Oct. 10th. Line opened from Barmouth to Pwllhell.
1867 Nov. 1st. Wellington to Market Drayton line opened for traffic.
1867 Nov. A petition being prepared: asking the G.W.R. Co. to carry passengers between Wrexham and Brymbo.
1867 Dec. 31st. A special through train run from Ruabon to Bala to convey Magistrates to the Quarter Sessions, This was the first through passenger train run on this line.
1867 Barmouth Bridge formally opened for traffic.
1868 Jan. 7th. Brymbo Works made the Ram and Chamber for a large hydraulic hay press 12 in. dia., 11ft, stroke for Liverpool firm.
1868 Feb 23rd. Broughton Colliery flooded. The 85in. Cornish Pumping Engine was then ordered and the sinking of the water pit commenced.
1868 Mar. 30th. First sod cut of Bala -
1868 International Telegraph Co. open an office in Town Hill, Wrexham.
1868 Mar. An accident at Pentresaeson Colliery.
1868 June. The Bill passes the Lords for the Shropshire and Montgomeryshire Light Railway from Shrewsbury to Llanymynech, generally known as the Potteries and North Wales Railway. This line was derelict for many years.
1868 July. Line from Llandrillo to Bala opened for passengers.
1868 Aug. 1st. Fire at Talwrn Colliery, Coedpoeth, owned by Messrs. Burton.
1868 Aug. 20th. A big train smash and fire on theHolyhead line at Abergele.
1868 Sept. 1st. Line from Bala to Dolgelley opened for passengers.
1868 Sept. 30th. Ten killed and fourteen injured at the Green or Wynnstay Colliery.
1868 Sept. “Snowdon” locomotive built. She worked at Brymbo Works till May 1919 when she went to Bersham Colliery.
1868 First Hoffman Kiln built in Minera Lime Works.
1869 April 1st. New railway route to Liverpool, via Runcorn Bridge opened.
1869 Sept. 12th. Mold and Denbigh Junction Railway opened. Then known as the “Madman’s Railway.”
1869 Oct. 15th. Explosion in old No. II blast furnace at Brymbo; two men and a boy killed.
1869 June. Welsh Coast Railway section from Dolgelley to Barmouth opened for passengers.
1869 Nov. Pumping Engine at Broughton Colliery started.
1869 Brymbo Water Co. constituted. 1869 Broughton Gas Works started.
1869 Hoffman Kiln built at Caello Brickworks.
1869 Work commenced on the Brymbo -
1869 24 inch Three-
1869 ‘Pale’, Llandderfel re-
1870 Caelo Brickworks started. Closed 1974.
1872 Jan. 27th. Brymbo – Coed Talon opened for goods and minerals.
1872 Sept. 10th. St Mary’s (Parish) Church, Brymbo, opened.
1872 Oct. 2nd. Chester and Whitchurch line opened.
1872/3 Old No. III blast furnace erected at Brymbo, also the ‘Haigh’ Blowing engine. This was replaced by another furnace and the ‘Davy’ engine in 1894.
1873 May 1st. Runcorn and Frodsham line opened, providing a new all rail route between Liverpool and Chester and North Wales.
1873 Sept 11th. Mr Robert Roy died aged 78. 1873 The W.M. & C.Q. Railway took over the Buckley – Connahs’ Quay line. This line has never been used for passenger traffic.
1875 Feb. 24th. No. II blast furnace blown out, after working since Oct 15th 1869
1875 May. Gatewen colliery. Sinking commenced. Reached main coal Oct. 26th. 1877
1875 Sept. Plas Power Colliery. Sinking commenced. Reached main coal about the end of Sept. 1877.
1875 Nov. 1st. Local coal strike starts; colliers refusing to accept 10 per cent, reduction in wages.
1875 Nov. 27th. No. 2 engine house at Gatewen colliery burnt down.
1875 Dec. 31st. Screen at ‘Furnace’' (Blast) pit started working.
1875/6 New coke ovens and a slackwasher erected at Brymbo, behind furnace No. 1.
1876 Feb. Locomotive ‘Wrekin’ built.
1876 Aug. 27th. Ponkey and Legacy line opened for goods and mineral traffic.
1876 Oct. 17th. United Methodist church (Lodge) opened. Converted to a house 1963
1876 Tramway completed between Smelt pit and Caello brickworks.
1877 Feb. 8th. Wheatstone ‘A.B.C.’ telegraph instruments installed for communication between Brymbo and Broughton collieries and Wrexham. (Finally abolished April 24 1906).
1877 Mar. Llay Hall colliery. Struck Main coal.
1877 June 29th. Three killed and three or four burnt in Brynmally pit.
1877 Aug. 15th. North Wales Narrow Gauge Railway, Dinas to Rhydddu opened. (Incorporated Aug. 6th 1872)
1877 Nov. 14th. Turnpike Gate at Cefnybedd abolished
1878 May 30th. Explosion at Ffos-
1878 Oct. 2nd. Mr. Hanson, foundry manager at Brymbo, died, at Brynrhug.
1878 Woodside station, Birkenhead, built.
1879 July. Line opened from Bettws-
1879 Aug. 17th. Llandulas viaduct, on the Chester to Holyhead Railway washed away.
1879 Oct. 14th. Brymbo Institute. This building was conveyed to the Brymbo Institute and Cocoa Room Society Ltd., by Mr. W. H. Darby, who had bought the site Dec. 31st. 1874.
1880 (circa). Telephones first installed at Brymbo; probably at coke ovens, furnaces, general offices, private office, weigh machine, stores, ‘Penygarth.’
1881 Jan. 1st. Broughton & Plas Power Coal Co. formed.
1881 Feb. 17th. No. II blast furnace, Brymbo, blown out after working for a few months making Bessemer iron.
1881 May 8th. Explosion at Llay Hall Colliery. Two men and nine horses killed.
1881 June 26th. Branch line from Pen-
1881 July 7th. Caepenty No. IV pit. First sod cut by Mrs. Butler.
1881 Dec. Moss Valley line practically completed.
1881 ‘Hope’ or ‘Gwernalyn’ pit (Cefnybedd) was working.
1882 April 17th -
1882 April 24th. The G.W. Railway line from Croesnewydd to Brymbo opened for passengers.
1882 June 9th. Mr. W. Hv Darby died aged 64.
1882 Nov. 1st. Bala -
1882 Brymbo branch (W.M. & C.Q. Rly.). then under construction, was opened as far as Moss and Pentre for mineral traffic.
1883 Jan. The G.W. Railway refuse a petition to extend the passenger service to Minera.
1883 Jan. 22nd. Plas Power station, (G. W. Rly.) opened for passengers.
1883 July 4th. Corris railway opened. Incorporated in 1858 as a mineral railway.
1883 May 19th. W.M. & C.Q. Railway Bill passed Commons for two branches, Hawarden to Shotton, and Aston to Aston Hall colliery.
1883 Sept. 10th. Line from Ffestiniog to Blaenau Ffestiniog opened for minerals and passengers. Standard gauge track replacing the narrow gauge line opened 1868.
1883 July 9th. Monk & Newell brick works, Ruabon, opened.
1883 Dec. 4th. Steel first made at Brymbo, (in an experimental furnace)
1883 Sept. 11th. Broughton (Southsea), Forge restarted, after standing six years, by Messrs. E. & J. Plant & Fisher, (three nephews of Mr. G. Plant). Three puddling furnaces working. It was the intention to roll sheets and employ fifty men. Mr Rowe, Manager.
1883 The Wirral Railway constituted by the amalgamation of various existing lines in the Wirral of which, Seacombe, Hoylake and Deeside Railway was incorporated in 1863. Subsequent Acts in 1884, 1885 and 1888.
1883 The Ruthin -
1883 (Circa) New Broughton colliery opened by Mr. T. Clayton.
1883 The W.M. & C.Q. Railway constructing branch to Westminster colliery.
1884 Feb. Experimental steel furnace at Brymbo demolished.
1884 May 28th. Mr. C. E. Darby died, aged 62.
1884 June 4th. The Brymbo Steel Company Ltd. incorporated.
1884 June 28th. The W.M. & C.Q. Rly Brymbo branch further opened between Moss & Pentre & Plas Power stations.
1884 July. Bangor to Bethesda line opened.
1884 At Vron colliery the shaft was enlarged down to the Brassey seam and sunk to Main coal.
1884 Locomotive ‘Basic’ built.
1885 Jan. No. III blast furnace, Brymbo, blown in after being off about 18 months.
1885 Jan. 14th. First No. I steel furnace at Brymbo, capacity 10 tons, first charge on this date. Three more furnaces were under construction.
1885 Jan. English Wesleyan Chapel, Brymbo, opened. This was the original corrugated iron building partially rebuilt and reopened in 1921.
1885 Feb. 10th. The 10 ton steam hammer started cogging ingots at Brymbo, the mill was not then ready.
1885 Mar. 16th. A man roasted to death in a lime kiln at Ffrith.
1885 April 16th. W.M. & C.Q. Rly Line doubled between Hope Junction and Wrexham.
1885 July. Penrhos pits finally close down.
1885 Aug. Rolling Mill at Brymbo commenced working, deliveries of steel commenced in September.
1885 Dec. 8th. Irishmen working at Broughton & Plas Power Co’s pits, mobbed and driven off by Welsh colliers.
1885 Dec. Existing Post Office, Wrexham, opened.
1885 Pumping engine from Talargoch Lead Mine, Rhyl, erected at Gwersyllt colliery.
1886 Feb. 1st. The Mersey Railway opened for traffic. Incorporated 1866.
1886 April 19th. Line from Parkgate to West Kirby opened.
1886 Sept. 30th. Riots at Broughton and Plas Power Coal Co’s pits by other colliers, who objected to the company’s men sending up 21 cwts. to the ton.
1886 Oct. 30th. Fly wheel of mill engine at Brymbo burst owing to engine racing. Three men killed and others injured.
1886 W.M. & C.Q. Railway branch from Wrexham to Brymbo opened throughout for goods and minerals.
1886 Severn tunnel opened. Length 4⅓ miles, the longest tunnel in England; construction commenced in 1873.
1887 Mar. Broughton forge restarted by Brymbo Steel Co. Ltd. Rolling commenced.
1887 July 18th. Workmen start contributions to the Brymbo Workmen’s Institute, (see also 1879).
1890 ‘Gwynedd’ locomotive built. St John’s Welsh Church re-
1892/3 Brymbo Pool enlarged. Hurricane House built.
1894 ‘Y Cysegr’ Welsh Presbyterian Chapel, New Broughton.
1895 Water pumped from Cefn Stream at Glascoed Wood to Brymbo by steam pump on Oct 2nd.
1897 Snowdon Mountain Railway opened.
1899 Lodge Welsh Baptist Chapel (Noddfa) opened 15th June. Demolished 1976, but closed for many years before this.
1899 Welsh Baptist Chapel at Penrhos opened.
1926 Brymbo Cricket Pavilion opened. Demolished 1977.
“Where Old Stephenson’s heart quailed, Young Robertson has not failed.
At that time George Stephenson was 65 years old and Mr Robertson 30 years.”